The Manchester Cumberland Presbyterian Church can trace its roots, as with all Cumberland Presbyterian Churches, to the events of February 10th, 1810, in a small log house located in Dickson County, Tennessee. Samuel McAdow, Finis Ewing, and Samuel King, all Presbyterian clergymen, decided to form the Cumberland Presbytery, so that their doctrine of “whosoever will, may come” could be proclaimed. By 1813, after several failures to be recognized by the general Presbyterian Church and due to its rapid expansion, the presbyteries of Elk and Logan were formed and the Cumberland Presbytery was renamed Nashville Presbytery. With the formation of these new bodies, they composed the proper number of presbyteries to form a synod, and so the Cumberland Synod was constituted and the presbyteries prospered.
In 1854, six charter members and the Reverend A.C Tatum organized the Cumberland Presbyterian Church in Manchester and became a member of the Elk Presbytery. The first church building was a two story, wooden-framed structure, where local Mason used the second story for their meetings. The second building, of brick construction, was located on the corner of Church and West High Streets, three blocks from Manchester’s Courthouse Square. Much of the early history of the church is missing. The first book of Session Minutes is presumed to have been lost during the Civil War and the third book has also been misplaced.
In the late 1950’s, the church began to consider relocating and building a new facility. After much consideration and prayer, on March 2nd, 1958, the congregation passed a resolution to move from the corner of Church and West High Streets and build a new church. In October of that same year, a lot was purchased on the corner of McArthur and Coffee Streets. After careful consideration, the congregation found a construction company and held a ground-breaking ceremony on May 1st, 1960. Construction for the new building started on May 9th, 1960. Four memorial windows from the second building were used in the chancel of the new church. The structure was finished and ready for occupation in March of 1961.
By 1973, the church was ready for further expansion and began to develop plans for an educational annex and fellowship hall. The ground breaking ceremony was held in April of 1975 and construction was completed by March of 1976, doubling the existing floor space.
The current manse was purchased in 1986 and is located adjacent to the church property on McArthur Street. The church also has a spacious outdoor pavilion and playground facilities, as well as ample grounds for future expansion.